Agreeing · Answer

What if we can't agree on the list price?

The short answer

Work from the same comparable sales, then agree in writing on a pricing plan before you list: the starting price, how long you'll hold it, and how much it drops if there's no accepted offer by set dates. Once both of you sign the plan, the price moves on schedule and nobody has to win the next argument.

  1. 01

    Start from the same comps

    A price fight can start because each spouse is looking at different numbers. One saw a neighbor's listing price. The other found a sale from two years ago. I give both of you the same set of recent comparable sales, with the same notes on condition, size and location, at the same time. Nobody gets a private preview. If either of you thinks a comp doesn't fit, say so in writing and I'll explain to both of you, in the same message, why I included it or swap it for a better one.

    You can also look at your town's area page for the recent median price and days on market from Redfin. It's a backdrop, not a price for your house.

  2. 02

    Agree on the triggers

    What helps is deciding the hard part before you're in it. Together we write a pricing plan that both of you sign. It sets the list price, how many weeks we hold it, and the exact amount the price drops on each set date if there's no accepted offer. It can also set the lowest offer either of you would accept without another conversation. Write it in plain dollar amounts, so there's nothing to reinterpret later, and keep a signed copy where you can both find it.

    Then the plan makes the call. When a trigger date arrives, I send you both the same short note and the price changes as agreed. It's quiet. Nobody had to give in. If an offer arrives just before a trigger date, the plan should say whether we wait to hear it out or drop the price anyway, so put that line in too.

  3. 03

    Still apart

    If the comps don't close the gap, you can hire an independent appraiser and agree ahead of time to list within a set range of that figure. That brings in a third opinion neither of you picked for its answer. Pick the range first. If you still can't agree and papers have been served, a sale needs written consent or a court order under ORS 107.093, so the disagreement may end up with your attorneys.

    The guide on pricing so nobody feels cheated goes into the plan line by line.

Sources · checked 23 Oct 2026

Confidential consult

Your situation, specifically.

Tell me where things stand. I’ll tell you what the sale could look like for your situation, and what to ask your attorney first.

CallText Talk privately